Our Parish celebrated it’s 80th anniversary in 2006. In November 1926, Father Francis H. Pennylegion was appointed the first Pastor of a new Parish in the rapidly growing community of North Toronto, to be named Blessed Sacrament.
On December 19, 1926, Fr. Pennylegion was joined by about 100 North Toronto Catholics in a converted house on Bedford Park Avenue where he celebrated the Mass for the Fourth Sunday of Advent.
The Parish grew very quickly and it was soon apparent a new larger facility would be needed.
In 1928 the current site at the corner of Yonge Street and Cheritan Avenue was purchased and in the Spring of 1929 construction of a permanent church began.
The $180,000 cost of construction was enormous, but the members of the Parish community worked hard to raise the money, under the leadership of Fr. Pennylegion.
On Sunday June 1st 1930, Archbishop Neil McNeil dedicated the new Church.
The Rectory was originally at 19 Cortland Avenue, and in 1949 the Parishioners built the Rectory at 24 Cheritan Avenue and serves as our offices and residence for the Priests.
Blessed Sacrament is one of the largest church structures in the Archdiocese of Toronto. It’s architect, J. Gibb Morton also designed Corpus Christi, St. Brigid, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Sacre-Coeur, and Christ the King, and based his look for the building on two periods of medieval Gothic architecture.